The Faculty of Applied Science was the first scientific faculty to be established in the University. Providing a distinguished academic environment is our goal and objective. The only hope we seek to achieve is to develop our beloved Kingdom and effectively take part in its modern progress to cope with the rest of the developed countries of the world.
We would like our current and future generations to reap the fruits of these continuous efforts in their journey to a more prosperous and thriving future. This journey was set off with the sky of science and knowledge as its limits. With this in mind, and thanks to the unlimited support of the Government of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and the support of the University, the labs of the Faculty were provided with the latest technological equipments and apparatuses, and lecture halls were furnished with the latest educational tools.
Under the supervision of a remarkable group of the Faculty staff, curricula were developed to cope with the modern scientific leaps. The role of training to improve the competence and abilities of our graduates to better serve the society and compete in the labor market wasn’t ignored.
The Faculty of Applied Science currently has four departments in the specializations that are the main pillars of the anticipated civilized scientific advancement in different fields, and the core of any scientific and technological advancement. The four departments are Biology, Mathematical Sciences, Physics and Chemistry. All four departments give bachelor and Master’s degrees, and the Chemistry and Biology Departments give PhD degree. Below are brief overviews of each of the four departments:
Students get the bachelor degree after successfully completing 114 credit hours, including the preparatory year. Curricula include botany, zoology and microbiology. So, students have diverse fields to choose from, and if they are willing to carry on their studies in any of the three fields, they will have a strong foundation to build on. Employment chances for graduates of this department are in diverse fields, including biological labs in food factories, research and development units, pharmaceutical companies and experimental laboratories, as well as teaching after studying some educational syllabus.
Mathematical Sciences Department:
Students get the bachelor degree after successfully completing 140 credit hours including the preparatory year. Curricula include Pure Mathematics, Probabilities and Statistics and Applied Mathematics. This is a unique combination that enjoys diversity and flexibility for the students. It gives them the chance to strongly proceed in any of the three courses and opens up a wide range of fields for them. If they are interested to proceed in their studies, students will have a strong foundation to build on. Employment chances include working for ministries and public and private institutions, like banks and statistics departments, etc. Graduates can also choose to teach, and even in teaching they have the privilege of choosing to teach any of the three fields.
Students get the bachelor degree after successfully completing 132 credit hours, including the preparatory year. Physics is one of the majors that cope with the spirit of the era, and meets the needs of the society. Graduates can work as teachers in schools and universities and also work for health institutions and radiation protection institutions. The Physics program is the bridge between theoretical Physics with its concepts and the practical applications in the engineering field.
Students are granted the bachelor degree after successfully completing 8 levels in four years including the preparatory year. The study plan enables students to link the theoretical knowledge with its practical application through the large number of practical courses included in the study plan which students take in the Faculty labs that are equipped with top-notch instruments and apparatuses according to the highest international criteria. This makes students capable of dealing with practical problems relevant to their field and promotes their level of competence whether for the competition in the labor market or for their post graduate studies.
Our mission is to accomplish the goals and objectives of the higher education system, and provide university and post graduate education for our students, while developing their scientific and practical skills as well as soft skills inside and outside the campus. We also seek to encourage our staff to promote scientific research, contribute to serving the society and more actively translate and author scientific books.
• Improving the educational level of university students to achieve the highest quality;
• Improving research skills of students and taking advantage of the latest technological advancements (information technology); and
• Encouraging cooperation among faculty staff and organizing scientific seminars and lectures.
• Supporting the education, health, industrial and commercial sectors with highly qualified university graduates in line with the development plans;
• Creating a strong connection between the different departments of the Faculty and labor market needs through close cooperation among our departments, the private sector and the public sector, through workshops to develop cooperation mechanism;
• Developing highly qualified human resources for teaching in the Faculty of Applied Science and enriching the society with qualified professionals in different branches of science, on the diploma and bachelor levels;
• Cooperating with different faculties of Applied Science in local and international universities;
• Developing the behavioral attitudes (skills of dealing with others) of university students; and
• Carrying out comprehensive amendment of training programs in the light of results of international experience and latest developments in the scientific and technological fields as well as the requirements of the labor market.