The department was established under the name of Legal Department. As per the UQU president's decision no. 7259 dated Rabei II 27 1422 H, the name was changed to "Legal and Consultancy Affairs" due to its activity, expansion of scope of work and prominent role in interpreting the rules, regulations and preparing consultations regarding some academic and administrative aspects in the university. Later on, the department's name was changed to "Legal Department" following UQU president's decision No. 4370000750, dated Muharram 1st 1437 H.
The department has been headed by the following officials:
- Mr. Abdullah bin Aqeel Attas (1403 H -1416 H)
- Dr. Ali bin Moslih Al-Motrafi (1416 H -1420 H)
- Mr. Mohamed bin Abdulkarim Nadhar (1420 H - 1422 H)
- Dr. Ali bin Moslih Al-Motrafi (1422 H - 1433 H)
- Dr. Ubaidullah bin Salah Al-Lihyany (1434 H - 1435 H)
- Dr. Hamdan bin Darweesh Al-Ghamdi (1435 H - 1440 H)
- Mr. Khalid bin Muhammad Al-Sheikhi (1440 H - up to the present)
The Department endeavors to enforce law in university work environment by effecting general and specific regulations and providing highly professional legal consultancy in a manner, which preserves the rights of UQU and its staff on and off campus.
- Piety and God fearing
- Dedication to work and professionalism
- Uplifting teamwork spirit
- Respecting competencies and elevating human resources value
- Commitment in performance of public services
- Encouraging objectivity and innovation
- Transparency, mutual respect, and tolerance towards concerned parties
- Holding high the values of fairness, equality and consultancy
The Legal Department endeavours to achieve noble objectives and purposes that have positive influence on the university and its community as well, including:
- To increase quality of work in the department and accelerate its pace through organization, rationalization and governance, besides harnessing ICT.
- To develop and boost human resources by honing capabilities, skills and exchanging the acquired expertise.
- To ensure governance and simplification of the regulatory procedures and contracts.
- To activate and consolidate a culture of respecting the system, besides spreading and boosting awareness of regulations.
- To develop relations with the stakeholders and partners to limit the lawsuits filed against UQU and maintain its rights in the disputes.
The Department firmly adheres to the statutory regulations related to administrative, financial and academic aspects of work at UQU; to ensure justice and equity.