The unit undertakes the following tasks:
- Representing the university, in all cases to which it is a party, before the Board of Grievances and other judicial bodies and labor committees.
- Completing the statements and procedural actions related to the lawsuits from the concerned departments in the university.
- Preparing memorandums, preliminary replies and appeal regulations, and following them up until the lawsuits are closed.
- Reviewing all lawsuits to which the university is a party. Case referrals shall be handled by the general supervisor.
- Archiving all lawsuits to make use of them in all the work of the Legal Department.
- The head of the unit shall refer the lawsuit to the competent employee, who will then prepare a brief report about it. He must present his perceptions about the circumstances of the lawsuit, whether the position taken by the university is legally sound or not, and whether recourse to reconciliation is a better option for the university. In both situations, he must clarify the grounds for the position which the university should adopt.
- The employee shall study the lawsuit, prepare a report on it, and discuss its subject matter with the head of the unit to determine the best option for the university.
- If proceeding with the lawsuit is in the best interests of the university, the representative of the university shall complete the statements and procedural actions related to the lawsuit from the concerned departments in the university. This is in addition to preparing memorandums, preliminary replies, appeal regulations and other essential requirements, and following them up until the lawsuit is closed. All this should take place under the supervision of the head of the unit, and the general supervisor should be constantly updated with all the relevant developments.
- If withdrawal of the lawsuit is the best option for the university, the head of the unit shall seek to negotiate the dropping of the lawsuit with the university's adversary, in cooperation with the general supervisor and his assistant.
- The representative of the university, in coordination with the head of the unit and the approval of the general supervisor, shall prepare and submit a report on the final verdict to His Excellency the University President, in which he will explain the reasons for either outcome, winning or losing the lawsuit, and also represent the viewpoint of the administration.
- The representative shall save the lawsuit documents in the lawsuit master folder. He shall summarize it and archive it electronically (with a code to identify it).