When the College was established in 1407 Hijri, it was mainly a faculty for education and through 1407 and 1408, it was called Al-Qunfudhah Teachers Preparation College and used to grant its graduates Diploma in Education (a 2-year study after the secondary school). In 1409 to 1428 Hijri, it was renamed Al-Qunfudhah Teachers College and used to grant graduates the Bachelor Degree in Elementary Education in one of the then available majors (Islamic Studies, Qur’anic Studies, Arabic Language, Physical Education, Art Education, Computer, Mathematics and Science).
Students used to study the subjects of their majors and study the educational subjects as part of their academic plan throughout the four years (integrated preparation) in the educational departments (Education and Psychology, Education Techniques and Curricula and Teaching Methods). These departments used to shoulder the responsibility of educational preparation for all students of the different academic departments and organize one-year courses for principals of primary, middle and secondary education in cooperation with the Ministry of Education.
In this one-year course, principals used to study educational subjects of different kind with focus on administrative and developmental aspects for developing different sectors and divisions in different governorates (Al-Qunfudhah, Al-Laith, Al-Baha, Muhail Asir, Najran and Jaizan). The aforementioned educational departments (Education and Psychology, Education Techniques, and Curricula and Teaching Methods) used to have three centers; Educational Media Center, Educational Research Center and Training and Society Service Center.
Since 1428 Hijri, the College and its departments underwent a restructuring that led to the suspension of the integrated preparation system in preparing students in Al-Qunfudhah University College, and accordingly the divisions of Education and Psychology, Education Techniques, and Curricula and Teaching Methods were merged in one department named the Department of Education, and the three centers were called off.
In 1428 Hijri and with the restructuring of the College and its departments, the General Diploma program in Education and the General Diploma in Guidance and Counseling were invented as night one-year courses.