The Department of Qur’an and Sunnah was inaugurated in 1391/1392 A.H. as part of the College of Shari`ah and Islamic Studies. It was one of the streams of the College of Shari`ah, which was then a branch of King Abdulaziz University.
When the King Abdulaziz University's branch in Makkah was announced as an independent university (Umm Al-Qura University), a decree was issued to announce the establishment of the College of Da`wah and Fundamentals of Religion. Later, the Department of Qur’an and Sunnah was established under decree no. 1/6827/16/04/30, dated 22/07/1404 A.H. In accordance with the UQU Supreme Council's decision issued in its second session held on 25/06/1404 AH., the Department of Qur'an and Sunnah was transferred from the College of Shari`ah and Islamic Studies to become one of the departments of the College of Da`wah and Fundamentals of Religion. The department proceeded to prepare new curricula, which were approved by the esteemed councils of the department and the college. This program continued until 1417 A.H., when the decision of the university council in its 8th session no. (15) was issued on 14 /2/ 1417 A.H. to approve the amendment in the curricula of the program of the Qur'an and Sunnah.
In 1425 A.H., names and syllabuses of some courses were modified based on the recommendations provided by the Department of the Qur'an and Sunnah no. (19) and (23) and the approval of the university council as per the decision no. (8) dated 3 /2/1425 A.H. After that, some minor amendments were made on the descriptions of some courses approved by the department council no. (12) dated 6/4/1441 A.H., and were also approved by the college council in its session no. (16) dated 4/5/ 1441 A.H.