In 1403H, the Supreme Council of Universities approved, in its first meeting held on 20/05/1403H, of establishing “Medical Sciences Department” as one of the scientific departments subsequent to UQU College of Applied Sciences. The first batch, made up of 20 students, was accepted in this department in 1405H. This department became the cornerstone of all the medical colleges in Umm Al Qura University thereafter.
In 1416H, the resolution of the Council of Higher Education was put into effect by virtue of a royal decree, confirming the change of “Medical Sciences Department” to be “Faculty of Medicine and Medical Sciences”. The first batch was accepted in the Faculty of Medicine and Medical Sciences in 1419H.
In 1426 Hijri, a royal decree was issued to approve the separation of the medical sciences department from the Faculty of Medicine which became a stand-alone faculty under the name of Faculty of Medical Applied Sciences which includes eight scientific majors, among them is the oral and dental health program.
In 19/12/1427H, His Excellency the rector of the university formed a committee to study the possibility of establishing a faculty of dentistry, and according to the committee’s recommendation, the fourth board of the applied medical sciences faculty decided to recommend the changing of the oral and dental health department in the faculty of applied medical sciences to be the faculty of dentistry in 06/02/1428H. In 28/04/1428H, the scientific council of the university advised in its 18th session to establish the faculty of dentistry and to form a committee that pursues the founding and setting up of the faculty in terms of the plans and programs, in addition to seeking the help of experienced organizations and individuals in the field of dentistry. The board of the university then advised in its 7th session held on 15/06/1428H, to establish the faculty’s four departments which are: “Department of oral basic and clinical sciences, department of preventive dental, department of oral and maxillofacial surgery and diagnostic sciences, department of teeth reformation and restoration”.
In consideration of that, the General Secretariat of the Higher Education Council decided by decree number (13/47/1428) dated 27/08/1428H, to establish the college of dentistry in Umm Al Qura University, with the royal approval of His Highness the King by royal directive number 8626/M B, dated 27/09/1428H, then the faculty started its work on 17/10/1428H and the first semester in the faculty started in 1430H.
To offer an elevated standard of medical education for the students and practitioners in the oral and dental health field, and support the scientific research in the Basic and clinical sciences along with serving the community in accordance with the mission of Umm Al Qura University.