Granting of the Degree
“Articles 57 and 58 of the Unified Regulation for Graduate Studies at Universities”
Judging the Thesis/Dissertation
After the student is done with their defense, the result is announced by the supervisor of the thesis/dissertation in accordance with the form prepared for this purpose, involving one of the following recommendations:
- Thesis/dissertation accepted and granting of degree recommended.
- Thesis/dissertation accepted with some modifications, without another defense, and a member from the examination panel is delegated to recommend the granting of the degree after making sure such modifications are made in a period of no more than three months from the date of defense, and the University Council is entitled to make exceptions.
- Amending the shortcomings of the thesis/dissertation, and having another defense during the period specified by the Council of the Deanship of Graduate Studies based on a recommendation by the competent department council, provided that the period does not exceed one year from defense date.
- Thesis/dissertation not accepted.
- If the first recommendation – which is accepting the thesis/dissertation without modifications – is selected in the respective form by the examination panel, the student shall apply for the granting of the degree directly at the first Department Council right after the defense.
- If the second recommendation – which is accepting the thesis/dissertation with some modifications – is selected in the form by the examination panel, the period specified for the modifications is a maximum of three months only, or the issue will be submitted to the competent council for making exceptions.
- The final grade for the thesis/dissertation is calculated out of 100 if accepted as per recommendations 1 and 2 which are referred to above in the report of the examination panel – accepting the thesis/dissertation or accepting it with some modifications – and the student’s grade for the thesis/dissertation will be based on the average of the grades estimated by the members of the examination panel.
- The final grade for the thesis/dissertation is calculated out of 80 if accepted as per recommendation 3 which is referred to above in the report of the examination panel – amending the shortcomings of the thesis/dissertation and having another defense – and it would be limited to announcing the approval of the thesis/dissertation if accepted after the second defense.
- The instructions issued by the Deanship of Graduate Studies should be followed to accelerate the process of granting the degree.