The Department of Civil Engineering was initiated in 1407 AH as the college's third department (preceded by the Department of Islamic Architecture and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering).
This department was established to participate in satisfying the Kingdom's need for civil engineers as part of its ambitious plans to keep up with the ongoing constructional development. Specifically, the department aims at providing Makkah and the neighboring areas with qualified civil engineers who have studied in the same environment so that they know its needs and participate effectively in its development.
The program aims to enhance the student knowledge of his culture and to qualify him to satisfy its engineering needs and to develop scientific solutions for the Holy city of Makkah, where hundreds of thousands of Muslims come annually to perform Hajj and Umrah.
The program also aims to graduate high-caliber engineers who could compete with graduates of the other universities academically and professionally, and continue their postgraduate studies inside and outside the kingdom without any obstacles.