The Department of Special Education at Umm Al-Qura University was established in line with the recommendations of the Higher Education Council in its 67th session dated Dhul-Hijjah 24, 1432 H in its decision no. 17/67/1432 H. Then the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, Prime Minister, Head of Higher Education Council issued the decision 8439 dates Safar 3, 1433 H in this regard.
The department of Special Education at Umm Al-Qura University is one of the newest department of this type in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as study commenced in the department in first semester of the academic year 1432-1433 H.
The Department Includes the following majors in the Bachelor Level:
• Intellectual Disability Track (Available for male and female students).
• Learning Difficulties Track (Available for male and female students).
• Behavioral Disorders and Autism Track (Available for male and female students).
• Hearing Disability Track (Available for male and female students).
• Visual Disability Track (not available).
• Talent and mental superiority Track (not available).
The department depends in its activities on the following themes:
1- Teaching courses at the level of the university.
2- Teaching courses at the level of the college requirements.
3- Teaching specialized courses at the level of the department.
4- Contributing to scientific research at the level of the university.
5- Participating in serving the community by organizing training courses, workshops, and giving lectures at schools, private and national educational and social institutions, as well as contributing to different media outlets.