The government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is striving to provide all means to help pilgrims achieve their desires and perform their rituals easily and conveniently by harnessing scientific research and modern technology methods to accomplish one of the noble tasks and means of gaining nearness to Allah.
The establishment of the Custodian of Two Holy Mosques Institute for Hajj and Umrah research in Umm Al-Qura University was one of the tasks dedicated to facilitate the rituals and to pay more concern to the religious rituals as general.
The Institute has developed over many years from a research unit at King Abdul-Aziz University in 1395H, tasked with improving statistics of immolated animals (whether immolated animals are offered by pilgrims "Hadei", or ordinary people "Adhahi"), to a Hajj research center in 1401, and a technical and consultancy body for the Higher Committee of Hajj and all other agencies working in Hajj researches, until the issuance of the royals decree transferring the Center to Umm Al-Qura University in 1403, under a higher supervisory committee chaired by HRH Prince Niaf bin Abdul-Aziz, the Crown Prince, the then deputy premier and minister of interior and the Chairman of the Higher Committee of Hajj-May Allah have mercy on him-.
In a step towards a new era, of a broader horizon and a comprehensive vision, a royal decree was issued in 1418 H, changing the center's name to the Custodian of Two Holy Mosques Institute for Hajj Research.
Subsequently, development strides continued including the establishment of Madinah branch, and then the Center of Excellence in Hajj and Umrah Research in 1428 H to focus on the applied researches and attracting the infrastructure solutions technologies for transportation, traffic and crowd management.
- In 1399H Hajj season , the Center started simulation models of mountain camps. These camps were visited by HRH Prince Naif bin Abdul-Aziz, the Minister of Interior –May All have Mercy on his soul-. On 17TH of JumadaI, the 1ST meeting of the Center's Higher Supervisory Committee was held under the chairmanship of HRH the Minister of Interior.
- On 19th of Sha'aban 1403H, a royal decree was issued allocating the old royal palace in Mina to be the headquarter of the Center.
- In 1403 Hajj season, the decision of banning small vehicles from entering into the Holy Sites was functional, as recommended by the Center.
- In 1403H Hajj season, the Center started to utilize the sacrificial meat by establishing the Saudi project for Utilization of Hajj Meat. In that year, the Center utilized the meats of 113 thousand head of animals.
- In 1410H Hajj season, shaded roads were made for pedestrians, as recommended by the Center.
- In 1412 H Hajj season, the Center conducted a simulation to prevent sleeping above and below Jamarat Bridge.
- In Dhul-Qi‘dah 1413H, the Center organized its first symposium under the name of (Housing in Hajj).
- On the 1st of RabeiI 1414H, the meeting of the supervisory committee was held and many significant decisions were adopted to develop the Center.
- In 1414H the pedestrians roads were improved, as recommended by the Center.
- In 1415H Hajj season, the traffic flow over the upper Jammarat Bridge was made a one-way street after rebuilding and reorganizing the eastern part of the Bridge, as recommended by the Center
- On the 28th JumadaII 1416H, the 2nd symposium was organized under the title of (Media in Hajj), in collaboration with the General Secretariat of the Council.
- In 1416H Hajj season, a limited simulation of transportation by shuttle-buses from Arafat to Muzdalifa was carried out. The design, planning and operation were fully managed by the Center.
- In 1417H Hajj Season, a simulation of transportation by shuttle-buses was expanded to include Muzdalifa-Mina phase, after completing number of preparations in roads, bridges and car-parking.
- On the 14th of Muharam 1417H, the 2nd meeting of the Higher Supervisory Committee of Hajj Research Center was held.
- On the 27th of JumadaII 1418H, the 3rd symposium of the Center was organized under the title of voluntary services.
- In 1418H Hajj season, the 1st phase of fireproof tents project was completed.
- On the 20th of JumadaII 1418H, the 3rd meeting of the Higher Supervisory Committee of Hajj Research Center was held.
- In 1418H Hajj season, a symposium on the safety of the holy sites was organized.
- In 1418H Hajj season, the study of using alternatives of cooking gas in Mina was carried out.
- On 17th of JumadaI 1419H, the 4th meeting of the Higher Supervisory Committee of Hajj Research Center was held.
- On the 3rd of RabeiI 1421H, the 100th meeting of the Hajj Central Committee was held under the chairmanship of HRH Prince Abdul-Mageed bin Abdul-Aziz –My Allah have mercy on his soul, at the Institute's headquarter in Azizia.
- In 1422 H Hajj season, the symposium of Hajj researches was held under the title: "Exploration of future prospects".
- In 1422H Hajj season, the major scientific Hajj Symposium was held.
- In 1423H Hajj season, the 1st scientific symposium on the infectious diseases of livestock and their impact on the health of the pilgrims, was organized.
- In 1424H, the symposium of the animal diseases was held.
- In Safar 1425H, the Center participated in the scientific meeting related to creativity and comprehensiveness of charity work during Hajj seasons.
- In Safar1425H, HRH Prince Abdul-Mageed bin Abdul-Aziz –My Allah have mercy on his soul, launched geographic database for housing and pilgrim services in Makkah.
- In Rajab1425 H, HRH Price Naif bin Abdul-Aziz approved formation of a committee to educate pilgrims in their countries, (membership of the institute).
- In Ramadan 1425H, and as commissioned by the public security, the Institute developed traffic maps for the Holy Sites.
- In Shawal 1425H, the Institute participated in the scientific and cultural events of the Saudi Universities in the Yemeni universities.
- On 15th of Dhul-Qaeda 1425H, the Institute won the award of the first integrated work at the exhibition organized on the sidelines of the International Conference of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications, in the Middle East and Africa region in Dubai.
- On 26th of Muharam 1426H the Institute participated in Cairo International Book Fair.
- On 21st of Jumada I 1426H, the Institute won the award of the best scientific research at Dubai International Conference for Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing in the Middle East.
- On the 1st of Jumada I 1426H, the Institute celebrated graduation of the 2nd and 3rd batches of its female students who obtained diploma of Hajj and Umrah Management in Madinah, under sponsorship of HRH Prince Muqran bin bub Abdul-Aziz.
- On the 22nd of Ramadan 1426H, HRH Prince Naif bin Abdul-Aziz discussed the developmental steps of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute for Hajj Research, and chaired the Higher Supervisory Committee of the Institute.
- In Muharam 1427H, HRH Prince Mamdouh bin Abdul-Aziz reviewed researches of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute.
- On the 25th of Safar 1427H, HRH Prince Abdul-Aziz bin Majid sponsored the 1st scientific meeting of Hajj research in Madinah.
- On the10th of RabeiII 1427H, the Custodian of Two Holy Mosques Institute organized the 1st cultural week at King Fahad Cultural Center in Sarajevo, in collaboration with Kingdom's embassy in the Republic of Bosnian and Herzegovina.
- In Ramadan 1427H, Institute of Hajj Research studied results of removing the line marking the beginning of Tawaf.
- On the 4th of Rabei II 1428H, the 5th meeting of the Higher Supervisory Committee of the Institute was held.
-In Ramadan 1428H, Prince Khalid Al-Faisal sponsored the meeting of the researchers of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute and reviewed the studies of the Tawaf (circumambulation of the Ka'ba) doers, and crowd management in Holy Mosque.
- In Shawal 1428H, Iyad bin Amin Madani launched the cultural days in Turkey, including the Institute’s Two Holy Mosques Exhibition.
-In Dhul-Qaeda 1428H, the Institute participated in the Saudi cultural days in Algeria.
- On the 25th of Safar 1429 H, HRH Prince Abdul-Aziz bin Majid sponsored the 2nd scientific meeting of Hajj research in Madinah.
- On the 21st of RabeiI, King Salman launched the project of the Hajj and Two Holy Mosques Encyclopedia.
- On 25th of RabeiI1429H, the Institute of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, engineers and experts offered a proposals to expand Sa'i area (walking between Safa and Marwa). The proposals were supported by evidences, opinions of the experts, geologists, engineers and eyewitnesses.
In spite of the similarity of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute for Hajj Research to other scientific research institutes, in adherence to scientific methods such as extrapolation, experimentation, or measurement, and in following work performance techniques such as receiving research projects, studying them in detail, besides the temporary reports methods used and etc.., the uniqueness and individuality of the Institute at the global level emanates from the fact that its serving a unique event and an unparalleled gathering. For that reason its research objectives vary from other global institutes for having sphere of competence related to Hajj, Holy Sites and the Two Holy Cities and whatever related to them in terms of planning, environmental and human affairs.
Within the same vein, the Hajj researches are also difficult for being conducted in few and specific days during the year to collect data and carryout measurements and study people of from different nationalities, languages and levels. As such, the time factor is very significant in such researches and studies as the opportunity comes one time a year.
Concluding, the Institute exert such efforts with the help of Allah, the almighty in the first place, and then the continuing support and personal attention of the rulers, May Allah bless them and all the officials in the agencies related to Hajj issues and services.
The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute for Hajj and Umrah Research seeks to offer studies, research, consulting and training programs, as well as community services to develop an integrated and sustainable system for Hajj and Umrah, in realization of the intentions of Shari'a .
The Institute aspires to become a leading scientific and consultative reference in researches and applications of Hajj and Umrah.
The objectives of the Institute are:
The tasks of the Institute focus on conducting studies and researches which aimed at facilitating performance of the rituals, and providing better services for pilgrims visiting the Holy Mosque in Makkah and the Prophet mosque in Madinah. The Institute carries out its tasks by means of studying the status quo, collecting detailed information about the different aspects and phases of Hajj and Umrah, besides figuring out the requirements of the pilgrims and visitors and services and facilities provided for them. That is all to have a clear picture about the prevailing conditions, then to pinpoint pros and cons, to boost the former and address the latter