On behalf of His Excellency the Minister of Education and the Chairman of the University Council, Dr. Hamad bin Muhammad bin Hamad Aal Al-Sheikh, His Excellency the UQU President, Prof. Abdullah bin Omar Bafail, chaired the fourth session of the University Council for the academic year 1439/1440 A.H. The session was held on Tuesday, 25 Sha`ban, 1440 A.H.,in King Faisal Hall at the University City, in Al-Abdiyyah.
His Excellency the President of Umm Al-Qura University, Prof. Abdullah Omar Bafail, welcomed the Permanent Higher Committee and the new members of the honorable University Council, namely, His Excellency Dr. Omar bin Siraj Sunbul, the Vice Dean of Students Affairs,and His Excellency Dr. Suhail bin Salim bin Salman Al-Harbi, the Dean of the University College at Jamoum governorate, wishing them success in serving the university and its students. Moreover, His Excellency lauded the efforts extended by the former deans in the service of the educational system.
The Secretary General of the University Council and the Vice President for Postgraduate Studies and Scientific Research, Dr. Thamir bin Hamdan Al-Harbi, underlined that the honorable University Council discussed a number of topics on its agenda at its fourth session for the academic year 1439/1440 A.H. In addition, the council studied and discussed several academic and administrative topics related to different academic and educational fields. Moreover, he confirmed that the council had taken appropriate decisions concerning these topics.
According to His Excellency Dr. Thamir's statement, the topics listed on the agenda of the session were as follows:
- Granting bachelor's and diploma degrees to students who are expected to graduate by the end of the second semester and the summer of the academic year 1439/1440 A.H., from all the UQU colleges and institutes in Makkah Al-Mukarramah and its branches in the governorates of Jamoum, Al-Leith, Adham and Al-Qunfudhah.
- Seeking approval for the details of the UQU calendar for the academic year (1440/1441 A.H.), to identify the beginning and end of the academic year and the official holidays.
- Seeking approval for the lists of students who will be accepted in the graduate and diploma levels at the university and its branches for the next academic year (1440/1441 A.H.).
- Continuing to delegate the powers of the University Council with regard to granting additional opportunities of one academic year to postgraduate students, starting from 13 Ramadan, 1440 A.H.
- Requesting the "update" of the study plan for the bachelor's program in the Department of Judicial Studies at the College of Judicial Studies and Regulations.
- Seeking approval for the procedural and executive rules of the Intellectual Property Management Office at the University.
- Requesting the establishment of the Saudi Scholarly Society for Zakah, proposed by the College of Shari`ah and Islamic Studies.
- Requesting the establishment of the Department of Industrial Engineering at the College of Engineering and Islamic Architecture.
- Delegating the powers of the University Council to His Excellency the Minister of Education and the Chairman of the University Council regarding urgent matters during the summer vacation of the current academic year 1439/1440 A.H.
- Studying and discussing several proposals for which appropriate decisions and recommendations have been made.