On behalf of the Minister of Education the Chairman of UQU Council Dr. Ahmed bin Mohamed Al-Issa, the President of UQU Prof. Abdullah bin Omar Bafail chaired the 4th meeting of university council in the presence of the Secretary-general of the Temporary Committee, acting as the Higher Education Council, Dr. Muhammad A. al-Saleh and the members of the council including UQU Vice Presidents and Deans of the colleges and supportive deanships at King Faisal Hall at the university campus in Abdyia.
At the commencement of the meeting, the UQU President Prof. Bafail welcomed the members of the council and extended his sincere thanks and appreciation to the Custodian of Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdul-Aziz Al-Saud and to the Heir Apparent HRH Prince Mohamed bin Salman bin Abdul-Aziz, the Deputy Premier, and the Minister of Defense for the noble confidence entrusted on him to take over the portfolio of Umm Al-Qura University. He praised the abundance support provided by the wise leadership for science and learning in this blessed country. He also praised the direct support provided by the Minister of Education Dr. Ahmed bin Mohamed Al-Issa to the educational plans in general and the university plans in particular to promote them and their scientific, educational, research, creativity and community programs, and activities. He also praised the efforts exerted by the former UQU President Dr. Bakri bin M'atooq bin Bakri Assas and his keenness and dedication to serving Umm Al-Qura University and its different activities.
For his part, the UQU Vice President for Postgraduate Studies and Scientific Research, Secretary of the University Council, Dr. Thamer bin Hamdan, made clear that the session touched on several topics listed on its agenda related to administrative, scientific and academic affairs, and took the proper decisions thereupon as following:
- Briefing the members of UQU Council on UQU President approval decisions issued by the Council in the period from Sha'ban 11, 1438 H until Rajab 19, 1439 H related to appointments in some Academic posts and internal and external scholarships.
- Briefing the members of UQU Council on UQU President approval decisions issued by the Council in the period from Shawal 25, 1438 H until the end of Rajab 18, 1439 H related to the termination of some UQU scholarships.
- To approve the request for granting bachelor and diploma degrees to students expected to graduate by the end of the second semester of the academic year 1438/1439 H from all university colleges and institutes.
- To Approve giving another chance to a number of (72) MA and Ph.D. students, as per a recommendation made by the Postgraduate Studies Deanship Council.
- To consider recommendations of the scientific council to approve early retirement and resignation submitted by some faculty members and persons of similar status in the university.
- To approve requests of secondment and lending of a number of teaching staff to work outside the university.
- To approve updating and developing Ph.D. program submitted by the department of the economy in the college of Islamic economic and Finance.
- To approve updating and developing MSc program submitted by the department of the economy in the college of Islamic economic and Finance.
- To approve the Ph.D. program in regulations by the department of regulations in the College of Judicial Studies and Regulations.
- To approve merging of MSc programs (Commercial regulations) and (Criminal law) in one MSc program in the field of regulations – department of regulations in the Judicial Studies and Regulations.
- To approve MSc program in chemistry by the Department of Chemistry, College of Applied Sciences and canceling the ex-program after the graduation of its current students.
- To approve the number of students to be admitted to the undergraduate and diploma levels in the university main campus and its branches for the coming academic year 1439/1440 H.