Program Duration: 4 Years
The English Language Department presents a program awarding the bachelor degree on English language. The Program qualifies the student for:
- Teaching the English language at preparatory and secondary schools, or equivalent level in English language teaching centers once the student has received the appropriate pedagogic training.
- Continuing their study in more advanced programs, such as linguistics and literature Master Programs, or any program closely relevant to their specialty.
- Engaging in a number of professions that entails having English language skills.
To ensure that the English language bachelor Program students are well-versed in their field of specialty, the Program works on achieving the following practical objectives:
First Phase: developing the students’ language skills in terms of listening, speaking, reading and writing; in order for the Program’s graduate to draw on these skills in different situations in an easy, smooth way.
Second Phase: the students are to be open to the basic knowledge in:
- Language science theories which present a description to all the language aspects in terms of phonetics , morphology , syntax and semantics, with the main focus of these theoretical sciences on English language.
- The prominent theories related to gaining the English language as a second language, including the issues of reading and writing theories in terms of English as a second language, and researches and applications related to learning English as a second language.
- Outstanding literary works including the renowned poets, novel, plays and short stories, as well as selections of the twentieth century prose.
- Some issues related to the sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics.
- Basics of assessing the students’ performance in English as a second language, and measuring their skills and proficiency.
- Main issues related to translation and its principles and methods.
- Islamic texts written in English.
The teaching and English language learning process at the Department is supported by using the language laboratories: phonetics or computer ones. Students are similarly encouraged to take part in the extracurricular activities via the internet, which are designed by the Department‘s faculty staff to be within the students’ reach.