The Physics Department was established, as a twin to the Mathematics Department, in 1384/1385H, when the first regulation for the College of Education, King Abdulaziz University, Makkah Branch, was issued. And several batches were graduated with the dual discipline (physics and mathematics).
It wasn't until 1394/1395H, ten years later, during which the department was affiliated to King Abdulaziz University in Jedda, that the Physics Department was separated from the Department of Physics, to be an independent department awarding BSc degree in physics and medical physics.
Still, a year later, the credit hours system was adopted by King Abdulaziz University, Makkah Branch. Accordingly, the Physics Department embraced the credit hours system. It awards bachelor's degree in physics.
In 1400/1401H, Umm al-Qura University (UQU) was founded in Makkah. The Department of Physics became affiliated to the UQU College of Applied Sciences. The Department of Physics now awards bachelor's degree in physics and medical physics.