In line with the mission of Umm Al-Qura University to maintain the strongest possible ties with our community, the establishment of the "Community Service Center" was approved in the first session of the university's higher council on 19/04/1407 AH The bylaws of the center were later approved by the said council in its 19th session on 30/10/1408 AH.
To match the expansion in the fields of community services and the relevant scientific and instructional developments, particularly in the field of continuing education, the Council of Higher Education made a decision in 1417 AH to change the name of "Community Service Center" into "Deanship of Community Service and Continuing Education", with the approval of the late King Fahd bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud.
King Fahd bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud subsequently endorsed the minutes of the 19th session of the Higher Education Council that was held on 10/11/1421 AH with the Royal Decree number 89/m issued on 6/2/1422 AH to change the name of the deanship into the "College of Community Service and Continuing Education".
The role of Umm Al-Qura University is represented in three main themes:
- Providing, through university education and postgraduate studies, means to develop competent citizens who are qualified to contribute to the welfare of their country as required.
- Conducting scientific research and working towards the development of scientific solutions that are appropriate for the requirements of modern life, means of implementing such solutions, and programs for developmental plans
- Offering services and training to members of the community, which is actually the main function carried out by the College of Community Service and Continuing Education.
The College of Community Service and Continuing Education is a body that links the university with all sectors and institutions of the community through various programs that suit the needs of its members. This body also participates in all public activities in accordance with the university's available resources, which include academic staff, technical laboratories, equipment, and public services.
- Working towards the application of scientific advice provided by various competent parties and recommendations presented by the college board.
- Supervising the preliminary year evening program through the supervisory office of the college's programs and training department.
- Working towards resolving any obstacles encountered by students of the preliminary year evening program.
- Working towards implementing recommendations made by the college board.
- Coordinating with various governmental and civil organizations to deliver awareness-raising lectures to the benefit of the community.
- Carrying out cultural and scientific activities.
- Participating in annual exhibitions to present the educational and training programs offered by the college.
- Introducing the programs offered by the college to all members of the community by participating in various cultural and educational events.
- Supervising the college library.
Professor Dr. Adel bin Muhammad Nour Ghubashi
1- Strengthening the relationship between the university and the various sectors of the community, providing suitable scientific conditions, and assuming a positive role through the scientific and technical resources possessed by the university.
2- Helping citizens to develop their abilities by satisfying their educational and training needs through the programs that are provided by the college, with no restriction on age or professional experience.
3- Identifying the needs of the community through the various programs offered by the college and providing a scientific policy suitable to assist in meeting the different needs.
4- Cooperating with organizations that have relationships with the university in spreading religious, cultural, social, and educational awareness through programs that are jointly conducted by the university and various governmental sectors.
Statement of the Dean:
Praise be to Allah and may His peace and blessings be upon Prophet Muhammad, his family, and his companions.
It is with the blessings of Allah that the multiplicity of educational and training programs and the variety of activities that are delivered by the College of Community Service and Continuing Education have made this and similar colleges in our country a principle source of post-secondary and postgraduate education and training. The college provides parallel university education and qualification programs that supplement the overall education and training system, thus enabling it to meet the growing need for fulfillment and qualification in various disciplines that are required in the job market.
The programs offered by our College have been designed so as to accommodate high-school graduates who missed some of the requirements for direct enrollment in the university. Our programs also address the trends of supply and demand of public and private employment.
Over the past years, the College of Community Service and Continuing Education has successfully delivered a large number of training and educational programs, thus considerably supporting the mission of the university by largely expanding its admission capacity.
This brief report of our achievements during the academic year 1427-1428 AH provides a general overview of the efforts exerted by the College of Community Service and Continuing Education to realize its objectives of serving the community and adapting to its needs. Achieving this success was only possible with the help and guidance of Allah the Almighty, followed by the supervision and support of the president of the university, Professor Dr. Adnan Bin Muhammad Wazan, and his vice-presidents. Major contributions were also made by the college vice-deans, heads of academic and administrative departments, and the entire staff of the college. In this context, one cannot miss mentioning the cooperation of all personnel working with organizations that participated in carrying out the college's programs.
In this report, the achievements are listed under the following four major sections:
Section I. Educational programs for post-secondary students:
1. One and two-year diplomas preparing high-school graduates to obtain professional certificates.
2. One-year evening program to qualify high-school graduates for university enrollment.
3. Preliminary year program for students of the College of Engineering and Islamic Architecture departments.
By delivering these programs, the college has made the following significant accomplishments:
1- Expanding the enrollment capacity for high-school graduates by admitting 1,526 of them to the program in the academic year 1428/1429 AH.
2- Giving 1,161 students of those who were studying under the mentioned program last year the opportunity to enroll themselves in various colleges and departments of the university in the academic year 1428/1429 AH.
3- Contributing to the process of job Saudization by qualifying 91 diploma graduates since the beginning of the academic year 1427/1428 AH.
Section II. Educational programs for postgraduate students:
- Diploma programs provided by the College of Education in collaboration with the Deanship of Graduate Studies and the College of Community Service and Continuing Education.
- General diploma of social service in the medical field program, in collaboration with the College of Social Sciences and the College of Community Service and Continuing Education.
- Evening postgraduate studies program:
The College made an important achievement when it launched the paid postgraduate evening studies program, which enabled citizens to obtain a master's or doctorate in any of a number of disciplines. The number of the students who enrolled in the program in the academic year 1427/1428 AH was 128.
As for the general diploma of education program, the total number of male and female students who have enrolled as of this writing is 245 university graduates. Under this program in the academic year 1427/1428 AH, students will be qualified in various disciplines that are needed in the teaching field.
Section III. Training programs
- Training programs provided by the College of Community Service and Continuing Education.
- Training courses offered by the College of Community Service and Continuing Education in collaboration with other colleges. Through these programs, constructive and continuous participation has been achieved to the benefit of the community by satisfying the citizens' wishes to develop their abilities. This has also promoted the goals of the university and its contribution to raising religious, cultural, social, and educational awareness. In this context, 12 courses were conducted for the employees of some private and governmental (civilian and military) institutions, as well as for members of the public. In addition, 24 courses have been conducted in the academic year 1427/1428 AH for women to meet their needs based on the nature of their activities and interests.
Section IV. Activity programs and contributions
The College of Community Service and Continuing Education undertakes multiple awareness-raising activities. Those are either seasonal, e.g. Traffic Week, or non-seasonal, such as lectures, seminars, workshops, and the like.
This part of the report shows the college's great contributions to the events that took place in the academic year 1427/1428 AH. This highlights the college's concern with such events and its commitment to contribute additional efforts and cooperation towards the advancement of the university's role in serving the community, with participation from a large number of organiations and sectors.
I hope that we have succeeded in presenting an impressive picture of the quality and quantity of our achievements. We look forward to even more achievements with the support and help of Allah the Almighty, followed by the efforts of sincere university employees, and the support and supervision of the university president, his vice-president for academic development and community service, and all deans and supervisory committees who are involved in our programs.
Dean of the College of Community Service and Continuing Education
Professor Dr. Adel Muhammad Nour Ghubashi