Overview, Origin and Establishment:
The Science and Technology Unit is an independent research unit, supervised by His Excellency the UQU Vice President for Postgraduate Studies and Scientific Research and managed by the Director of the Unit since its foundation in 2008. The unit is associated with the General Secretariat of the National Science, Technology and Innovation Strategic Plan (NSTIP) at the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), and is concerned with coordinating and managing programs and projects related to scientific and technical activities at the university to achieve long-term economic and social benefits.
The Science and Technology Unit is responsible for managing the six programs of the NSTIP National Plan for Science and Technology, which are: the Advanced Strategic Technologies Program, the Technological Innovation Centers Program, the Research Visit Grant Program for the professors in Saudi universities, Operational Projects Program, Equipment of Central Laboratories Program, and the Research Visit Grant Program for postgraduate students.
The unit is also responsible for conducting awareness-raising and promotional campaigns on the NSTIP programs within the university. It also contributes to training the UQU faculty members on how to apply for research grants by organizing training courses that help them write successful proposals.
To facilitate the outstanding and innovative contributions of Umm Al-Qura University and its employees in realizing the strategic goals of the long-term comprehensive NSTIP National Plan for Science and Technology.
Supporting, developing, and following up on the strategic programs and projects concerned with scientific and technical activities at Umm Al-Qura University, and ensuring they are in line with the guiding principles of the comprehensive NSTIP National Plan for Science and Technology to achieve its objectives.
- Promoting the long-term comprehensive NSTIP National Plan for Science and Technology within the university.
- Upgrading the quantitative and qualitative contribution of researchers and faculty members of Umm Al-Qura University to the NSTIP National Plan for Science and Technology.
- Providing scientific advice to researchers with the aim of ensuring the quality of their research proposals and their compatibility with the NSTIP goals and programs.
- Carrying out administrative and technical supervision of the NSTIP projects and programs.
- Acting as a point of communication between Umm Al-Qura University and the NSTIP General Secretariat.
- Urging and motivating the UQU faculty members, researchers, and postgraduate students to contribute actively to the comprehensive long-term NSTIP National Plan for Science and Technology.
- Providing assistance to the faculty members and researchers in preparing and drafting their project proposals.
- Following up on the progress of the research projects and removing obstacles that hinder them, to ensure timely and successful implementation.
- Consolidating the university’s relations with the public and private sectors, and the Saudi society as a whole.
- Creating a professional work environment that facilitates the expansion of local and international research partnerships for Umm Al-Qura University to realize the NSTIP objectives.
- Fostering the UQU's commitment to transfer, localize, and develop the fifteen approved strategic strategies for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and overcoming obstacles facing the transformation to the knowledge-based economy and society.
- Transparency as well as financial, scientific and administrative fairness.
- Commitment to helping researchers and postgraduate students achieve their goals.
- Fulfilling the responsibilities undertaken by the unit, and promoting excellence.
- Implementing multiple approaches and nurturing innovative thinking, to achieve the best results.
- Conducting contracts according to the criteria of high scientific accuracy and professionalism, for quality assurance purposes.
- Harnessing our knowledge, experience, and strength in the service of our society, and boosting the development of our homeland.
- Developing scientific and technical plans, strategies, programs, and projects, taking into account the national policy for science and technology, and prioritizing the programs and studies that are approved for Umm Al-Qura University.
- Following up the implementation of the scientific, technical and research programs and projects with researchers and colleges, organizing them in line with the methodology of the General Trusteeship applicable at King Abdul-Aziz City for Science and Technology (KACST), and ensuring their consistency to realize the objectives of KACST in the long term.
- Receiving and reviewing research proposals for projects submitted by the researchers, and sending them to the General Trusteeship.
- Approving and following up the implementation plan related to each project, in addition to the technical specifications and financial requirements in view of the funds allocated to any particular project.
- Preparing an annual report on the achievements and progress of work, and submitting it to the KACST Supervision Committee.
- Auditing and reviewing the disbursement documents of the periodic financial reports submitted by the researchers.
- Providing the Supervisory Committee with the final reports of the research projects approved for study, evaluation, and decision-making processes, in addition to referring the excellent papers to the General Trusteeship to disburse the rewards of excellence.
- Following up the subsidy requests submitted to the Ministry of Finance in relation to research projects, and ensuring that they are deposited in the university account designated for strategic technologies.
- Managing and securing patents and intellectual property rights.
- Collecting data and information, compiling statistics, conducting surveys, keeping abreast of the latest science and technology events, and updating indicators related to science and technology.
- Coordinating and following up the scientific and technical cooperation programs and identifying the available opportunities in international agreements, as well as benefiting from them and converting them into programs and projects with well-defined goals and objectives.
- Making full use of scientific, technical and research assistance, training grants, advice, and other services with international scientific unions, institutions and organizations.
- Coordination with KACST and other strategic partners in the private sector to realize scientific and technical progress in relation to particular projects.