The research activities of our department are:
- Extraction, isolation, purification and determination of active constituents in the medicinal plants.
- Identification of natural products using advanced techniques UV, IR, NMR (1D and 2D) and mass spectroscopy.
- Biological evaluation of plant extracts and their constituents for different biological activities such as chemotherapeutic, anti-cancer, anti-microbial, anti-parasitic, anti-diabetic, anti-ulcer, anti-hypertensive, antihyperlipidimic, antiangiogenic, diuretic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities.
- Evaluation of nutraceutical values of edible and medicinal plants.
- Evidence based approaches in ethnopharmacology: verification of the validity of popular use of the plants by using animal models including: cancer therapy, anti-ulcer, urologic and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Search and evaluate bioactive metabolites from different natural origins including endophytes.
- The impact of CAM therapies in human health.
- Standardization of plant extracts for their active constituents.