Umm Al-Qura University
Tasks and Powers of the Dean
Tasks and Powers of the Dean
Tasks of the Dean
- Administrative and Financial Affairs:
- Chairing the College Board, supervising the organization of its affairs, convening its sessions, implementing its decisions and sending the minutes thereof to UQU President.
- Implementing the rules and regulations of the Higher Education Council.
- Achieving the supreme objectives and policies at Umm Al-Qura University (UQU).
- Implementing decisions of UQU Council in relation to the College.
- Supervising the preparation and following up the implementation of the strategic plan of the College.
- Supervising the administration of the College's educational, research, administrative, financial and cultural affairs.
- Developing the administrative, academic and research affairs of the College.
- Coordinating and developing the College’s relations inside and outside UQU.
- Supervising the provision of all the educational, research, administrative and financial requirements of the College.
- Evaluating the performance of the College's vice-deans, academic department heads and affiliated unit directors and heads.
- Preserving the fixed and movable property of the College.
- Coordinating the work and implementing the recommendations of the College’s Advisory Board.
- Working on development and reinforcement of the College's independent financial resources and improving its mental image.
- Supervising the planning and preparation of the College’s budget.
- Forming the necessary committees to perform the work of the College.
- Preparing a comprehensive periodic report on the progress of the study and the academic, administrative and research performance in the College, and submitting it to UQU President.
- Informing UQU President, on the basis of the reports and notes of department heads, of all violations of duty or any other irregularities committed by staff members and the like.
- Submitting disciplinary matters with respect to students and affiliates of the College in accordance with the rules and regulations.
- Carrying out the functions assigned to him/her by the College Council.
- Representing the College inside and outside UQU.
- Implementing the tasks assigned to him/her by UQU Council or President.
2. Academic Affairs:
- Supervising the progress, implementing the plans and developing the academic programs of the educational process.
- Applying rules and regulations of quality, evaluation and academic accreditation.
- Supervising the various student activities in the College.
- Monitoring the performance of examinations and discipline within the college.
- Encouraging research in the different specialties of the College.
- Working to establish academic links with educational institutions inside and outside the Kingdom.
- Supervising the recruitment of staff members in the College.
- Supervising the application of plans and academic programs in the College.
- Selecting vice-deans and academic department heads, and submitting their appointment recommendation to UQU President.
- Approving the minutes of the meetings of the departmental councils and having the right to object to the decisions thereof within 15 days from the arrival date.
- Implementing the recommendations of the College Council.
- Issuing the internal decisions required by the proper functioning of work at the College in accordance with the rules and regulations.
- Approving job performance reports prepared by the College’s vice-deans, department heads and administrative unit directors regarding the affiliates thereof.
- Approving the granting of regular, compulsory and special leave for the College’s affiliates, and informing the Deanship of Staff Members’ and Employees’ Affairs according to the system.
- The delegation of his/her powers in accordance with the work rules and regulations of UQU.
- Approving purchase orders according to the rules and regulations.
- Forming various committees at the College level.
- Approving performance evaluation reports submitted to him/her by the College units.
- Approving the disbursement of the work requirements in the College from the College’s budget.
- Recommending the payment of staff members’ extra benefits.
- Recommending the internal and external assignment of staff members.
- Recommending the assignment of staff members to work outside official working hours.
- Recommending the presence of college affiliates at the training courses inside and outside UQU.
- Recommending post-service extension of staff members.
- Recommending the hiring of staff members after retirement.
- Recommending the termination of non-Saudi staff-member contracts in coordination with department heads.
- Adopting the approval of the relevant department council to postpone the admission of graduate students, provided that the postponement period does not exceed two semesters.
- Adopting of the approval of the relevant department council to delete all courses of the semester for graduate students.
- Approving the transfer of students from outside UQU to the College.
- Approving the transfer of students to the College from another college.
- Approving the transfer of students from a specialization to another inside the College.
- Allowing students to study as visiting students.