The Department of Research and Studies was activated according to the new organizational structure of the Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education by the beginning of the second semester of the academic year 1440-1441 A.H. The department is responsible for proposing and preparing studies and research papers, and providing consultations related to the fields of e-learning and distance education based on the research line of the deanship and according to its strategic and operational objectives. The department aims to develop the UQU identity of e-learning and distance education, contribute to the activation of the use of e-learning systems and tools, and monitor all scientific initiatives in the field of e-learning at the university with the aim of creating a leadership standing for the UQU at the national level.
Establishment of a Research Unit:
The Scientific Research Unit shall be created at the Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education, headed by His Excellency the Dean of E-Learning and Distance Education or representative(s) from the vice deans (currently the Vice Dean for Technical Affairs). The unit shall include all academic staff members and researchers from the deanship, and shall work on defining the research line of the deanship and arbitrating research ideas and projects before and after their completion. It will also work on setting and implementing scientific research policies and procedures at the deanship.
The Need to Establish a Research Unit at the Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education:
The establishment of the Research Unit comes within the framework of contributing to the implementation of the strategic objectives of the Umm Al-Qura University plan, as part of the strategic path of the scientific research and production. The need to establish this research unit can be summarized in the following points:
- Promoting scientific research specializations in the field of e-learning.
- Guiding and supporting researchers to contribute to the development of the educational process by conducting research work in the field of e-learning.
- Supporting scientific studies on e-learning.
The Objectives of the Research Unit at the Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education:
The key objectives of the Research Unit at the Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education are the following:
- Monitoring all research initiatives including scientific research and studies in the field of e-learning at Umm Al-Qura University.
- Studying the effects of applying e-learning on the academic community.
- Promoting the use of the e-learning system and its various tools.
Scientific Research at the Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education:
- His Excellency the Dean of E-Learning (or their representative) is responsible for managing the scientific research activities in the deanship through managing the Research Unit to support and accelerate scientific research work, complying with the institutionalization of various scientific research activities, agreeing on the line of research and research priorities with members of the Deanship Council, Research Unit, as well as supervising and following up on the
- implementation of the agreed-upon research.
- The Scientific Research Unit convenes at the beginning of the academic year and records its work in the session minutes, stating the research priorities for the academic year, to be submitted to the deanship.
- Research ideas shall be proposed during the meetings of the Scientific Research Unit by an academic staff member at the Deanship of E-learning, who delivers a presentation to be discussed with the unit members. The presentation shall include the following:
* Proposal summary
* Research objectives
* Literary survey
* The general objective and sub-objectives of the research
* The benefit of research paper for the university and society
* The team assigned to the research work, noting the order of the co-researchers.
During the same session, the Scientific Research Unit undertakes the scientific discussion and approval of the research ideas submitted by the academic staff members or their amendment, and the work shall not be initiated until after the final approval of the deanship by a two-thirds supermajority of the Council.
- The Scientific Research Unit convenes at least once every three months to follow up on research and studies, whereby the principal researcher or their representative gives a presentation on the progress of their work in the presence of all the members of the Research Unit.
- The Scientific Research Unit keenly applies the scientific research policies and procedures for all academic staff members and researchers of the deanship.
- The Scientific Research Unit undertakes the assessment of the research work, the provision of the resources required for its completion, and the extent to which the research paper contributes to harnessing the research capabilities and achieving the identified objectives.
- Funding Research Submitted to Scientific Forums and Journals: the Deanship seeks to encourage researchers by financing their scientific research activities that are arbitrarily accepted, and providing the financial and material resources required for research, if possible. Financial compensation shall be provided to the principal researcher for any research work performed and accepted under the name of the deanship within the framework of an international or local scientific forum from (Q1 and Q2), not exceeding 5,000 riyals for the principal researcher, with the need for official approval and the submission of proof of payment and original invoices. This sum covers the following:
- Publication costs
- The costs of the tickets and accommodation for the duration of the forum to present the research paper
- Financial compensation shall also be provided to the principal researcher for any research work that is carried out under the name of the deanship and accepted within the framework of a scientific journal (Q1 and Q2), and this sum covers the cost of publication in the scientific journal.
- The deanship recognizes the researchers' freedom to choose their research topics within the framework of the strategic priorities of scientific research at the university and the deanship and in line with the rules that govern scientific research ethics.
- All academic staff members must engage in research and scientific publication activities at the deanship, and the minimum number of papers published annually by each faculty member is one paper.
- The Research Unit proposes partnership agreements and scientific cooperation with distinguished educational and research institutions in the field of e-learning and distance education at the local and international levels.
- The Research Unit provides internal and external consultations in the field of e-learning and distance education within the framework of community service.
- Any academic staff member at Umm Al-Qura University can join the research work teams at the deanship after being suggested by the principal researcher.