The Center of English Language was established in 1402H. It is part of the College of Social Sciences which was established in 1404H. Dr. Salman Ghaith Al-Hashimi Al-Amir was the first manager of the center which started with only two teachers: Mr. Abdulaziz Hasan Shalabi, Saudi national, and Mr. Bilal Abdulalim Sharif, American citizen.
The center started with giving courses in English for UQU teaching assistants and lecturers for their higher education completion scholarships abroad. In that year the number of students reached only twenty scholars.
In the following year the center continued giving courses to teaching assistants, lecturers as well as thirty two Islamic Architecture students.
In the academic year 1404/1405H the center continued its previous services and expanded in the provision of services to new departments. It started teaching students of various engineering departments and medical physics.
In the following year the center continued its previous services in addition to giving English Language courses to the employees of UQU Central Library and students of various scientific departments such as Medical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Biology and Chemistry.
As the center desired to serve the community, it introduced in the academic year 1411/1412H evening courses in English to UQU staff and community members at different levels.
When the College of Medicine and Medical Sciences was founded in UQU in the academic year 1417/1418H, the center began to teach its students and supervise teaching of female students till the present time.
In the academic year 1418/1419H the center provided a one-year English Language course for KSA Border Guard officers, another course for Makkah Guest Palace staff and a third course for the teaching assistants and lecturers.
In the academic year 1419/1420H the center provided an English Language course for UQU teaching assistants and lecturers in addition to another course in the summer.
Starting from the academic year 1420/1421H till present, the center participated with the College of Community Service and Continuous Education at UQU in teaching English Language subjects for students of different diplomas such as Secretarial Qualification, Biology and Computer Diplomas.
In the academic year 1421/1422H the center provided a one-year English Language course for KSA technical colleges’ teachers.
When the Department of Computer Science at the College of Applied Sciences was launched in the academic year 1422/1423H, the center participated in teaching English Language subjects for its students.
In the summer of the academic year 1422/1423H the center provided a booster and another two-level intensive course in English Language for new students at the university.
With the continued expansion of the center's educational services, and in the first semester of the academic year 1422/1423H, the number of its different department students was more than 1000 students, whereas the number of its supervised female students was 100 female students.
In the first semester of the academic year 1423/1424H the center provided English Language course for employees of the Saudi Telecom Company.
The academic year 1427/1428H witnessed the launch of the College of Applied Medical Sciences, which contained the programs of Laboratory Medicine and Physiotherapy for male students and Laboratory Medicine, Nutrition and Nursing programs for female students. It was also the year when the College of Pharmacy was inaugurated for both male and female students. With the addition of these two colleges to the College of Medicine and Surgery, the health colleges were formed. Thus, the number of students there increased to reach thirteen, instead of eight, male student groups and fourteen, instead of the nine, female student groups.