Requirements for the Student Teacher
To implement the Training Program, the student teacher should fulfill the following:
- Finish the previous courses, especially the teaching methods course. In case of graduation, the student is allowed to enroll in 2 courses along with the practical education course, provided that these 2 courses are not amongst the main courses required for registration for the practical education course.
- Enroll in the practical education course (6 hours).
- The student teacher should attend the last semester at the school, from the beginning of the school day to its end, for 5 days, at a rate of 12 sessions a week for bachelor students; and 3 days, at a rate of 9 sessions a week for diploma students.
- The student teacher should complete all the practical education activities, including observation, implementation within the individual implementation groups, performance development lectures, and micro teaching practices.
- The relationships and responsibilities of practical education are many; however, they are all based on the principles of respect, love, and providing future teachers with the skills and experience needed to perform their responsibilities. Among these relationships and responsibilities are the relationships of the student teacher with their supervisor, supervising teacher, and the school in which they are conducting their training.
Roles of the Field Training Supervisor
The supervisor has a primary role in guiding the student and following up on them by doing the following:
- Consult with the school principal to select the classrooms in which the student teachers will conduct their practical teaching, when required.
- Cooperate with the Office of Practical Education and the supervising professors, and the Ministry of Education Guides who participate in following up and evaluating the student teachers of their group to agree on the main lines of the evaluation process.
- Review the educational plan and discuss it with the student teacher.
- Attend the teaching process of the student teacher from beginning to end.
- At the end of each session, discuss with the student teacher their points of strength and weakness with regard to the teaching process.
- Evaluate the student after each visit using the Evaluation Form.
- At the end of each semester, send the completed Evaluation Forms to the Practical Education Coordinator, and ensure the total mark of each section of the Evaluation Form matches the overall mark.
- Pay a number of visits to the student teacher to follow up on their progress and ensure that they are benefiting from the supervisor’s guidance and mentorship.
- Communicate any difficulty faced by any student teacher in the teaching process to the Practical Education Coordinator in order to form a special committee to provide the student teacher with the required support and guidance.
- Keep a private record for the practical education table, with remarks on the lessons delivered by the student teacher.