The Center was founded in Umm Al-Qura University in 1392/1393 A.H. At first, it was a subsidiary of the College of Education, and later became a subsidiary of the Educational and Art Services Department. In 1404 A.H., a branch for girls was founded in the university to train them in using the devices and producing educational methods. It was updated in 1418 A.H. as an integrated center with equipment and educational materials.
In 1419 A.H., His Excellency the UQU President approved a name change from the Educational Methods Center to the Methods and Education Technologies and Educational Television Center. In 1436 A.H., His Excellency the UQU President approved the return of the Center under the umbrella of the College of Education and for it to be called the "Education Technologies Center".