Deanship of Graduate Studies
Graduate studies programs in Umm Al-Qura University have started in 1968. Currently, there are more than 50 graduate programs offering diplomas, masters and Ph.D. degrees, distributed among (18) different departments and centers. In 1991, the Deanship of Graduate Studies was established to supervise, monitor, and coordinate procedures of these programs.
The deanship consists of the following units:
This department is responsible for all admissions affairs of graduate students. After admission and registration, the student is allocated an advisor at the department where he is registered.
2- Academic and Administrative Supervision of Graduate Students:
Each college is assigned a supervisor to take care of its students’ affairs and all matters pertaining to their graduate study, such as extension procedures, printing permissions, etc.
3- Graduation and Bursaries Administration:
This administration is responsible for preparing reports on graduates and graduation documents for those who fulfill all requirements of the degree (Diploma, Masters, or Ph.D,), who receive them upon approval of the University Council.
4- Administrative Communications and Academic Monitoring:
This administration is responsible for monitoring performance of the students whose study periods are about to end, and the students with low academic performance.
5-The Deanship’s Administration:
The Administration of the Deanship of Graduate Studies is concerned with administrative affairs and follow-up of work progress in the Deanship. It is also concerned with monitoring employees’ attendance and communicates with other bodies for effective execution of shared duties and functions.
The faculties that offer graduate studies:
1. College of Shari'a and Islamic Studies:
· Department of Shari'a Graduate Studies (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Fiqh).
· Department of Graduate Studies in History and Civilization (Masters and Ph.D. programs in History and Islamic Civilization)
· Institute of Islamic Studies (Masters program in Islamic Studies).
2. College of Education in Makkah:
· Department of Curricula and Teaching Methods (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Curricula and Teaching Methods and Educational Supervision).
· Department of Psychology (Masters program in Educational Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Counseling and Guidance, Statistics and Measurement and Social Psychology).
· Department of Educational Administration and Planning (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Educational Administration and Planning).
· Department of Islamic and Comparative Education (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Islamic and Comparative Education).
· Department of Aesthetical Education (Masters program in Aesthetical Education).
3. College of Da’wa and Usul-ud-Din
· Department of Kitab and Sunna (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Kitab and Sunna).
· Department of Aqida (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Aqida).
4. College of Arabic Language
· Department of Arabic Graduate Studies (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Arabic Language and Literature).
5. College of Social Sciences:
· Department of Geography (Masters program in Natural and Human Geography)
· Department of English Language (Masters program in Linguistics, Translation and Literature).
6. College of Applied Sciences:
· Department of Mathematics (Masters program in Pure and Applied Mathematics)
· Department of Physics (Masters program in Nuclear Physics
· Department of Chemistry (Masters program in Organic, non-organic, Analytical and Physical Chemistry)
· Department of Biology (Masters and Ph.D. programs in Biology).
7. The General Diploma: The university offers a number of general diplomas, such as:
· General Diploma in Islamic Studies from the College of Shari’a.
· General Diploma in Education from the College of Education.
· General Diploma in Measurement and Evaluation from the College of Education.
· General Diploma in Counseling and Guidance from the College of Education.
General Diploma in Medical Social Work from the College of Social Sciences.