Year of Establishment:
1426 AH\ 2006
During session 39 of the Supreme Council of Higher Education (SCHE), held on 5\10\1426 AH, a royal decree was issued to establish the College of Pharmacy to join the medical colleges (College of Medicine and Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences) at Umm Al-Qura University.
Vision of the College:
To achieve leadership among faculties of pharmacy in the Arabic world in pharmacy education, scientific research and community services.
Mission of the College:
Preparing competent pharmacists and clinical pharmacists by adopting the best advanced methods in education to play an effective role in the field of pharmacy practice with the ability of continuous education and skills of conducting scientific research.
Values of the College:
- Commitment to the rules of Islam, job morals and particularity of Makkah city.
- Commitment to team work.
- Achievement of total quality in all pharmaceutical areas.
- Raise to global scientific development in all pharmaceutical areas.
Objectives of the College:
The College of Pharmacy, Umm Al Qura University, was established to achieve several objectives serving science and knowledge, the health sector and the Saudi society as a whole. Based on his view, the general objectives sought by the College of Pharmacy are:
1. Giving an idea about the specialized courses and pharmaceutical plans; establishing the basic pharmaceutical sciences and developing a student's primary skills to practice the profession of pharmacy.
2. Qualifying students and attracting them towards specialized courses and pharmaceutical plans to practice pharmacy in a better way.
3. Guiding students towards interaction with the problems of the surrounding environment and providing their solutions, for achieving progress of the regional society.
4. Studying the subjects related to pharmaceutical sciences, such as biological and medical chemistry, microbiology, immunology, medical physics, pathology, anatomy, histology, nutrition, computer applications in pharmacology.
5. Teaching pharmaceutical sciences in general and focusing on the dynamics of medicine, drugs and extracted herbal substances, biological chemistry, analytical pharmacy, dynamic technology of drugs, technology of pharmacy, preparing and discovering drugs.
6- Giving students all the information about drugs as to their action, indications, dangers, side effects, dosage and the diseases for which such drugs are prescribed.
7- Teaching all the information about the names and actions of the drugs used in medical prescriptions and teaching the skills of pharmaceutical calculations in preparing such drugs.
8- Training students to deal with forms of pharmaceutical care in order to achieve satisfactory results and enjoy better health.
9- Developing the necessary skills, potentialities, behaviors and values required in the theoretical and practical fields of pharmacy to ensure that the graduates have full understanding of healthcare values.
10- Promoting thinking skills of the students in order to deal with clinical and critical problems; increase their abilities in solving such problems and deliver the best pharmaceutical care for patients.
11- Teaching learners who are able to conduct independent researches and specialized, in-depth studies in any of the pharmacy branches; providing learners with educational plans and laboratory technology in industrial, academic or governmental fields, or in any other fields.
12- Teaching students and graduating pharmacists who are able to work in pharmacy branches for the service of patients and the society in all fields; providing a student with the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, behaviors and values in the field of theoretical and practical pharmacy; developing an understanding of the value of pharmacy care; evaluating critical, giving an example for pharmaceutical care that leads to improving final results, for ensuring better health for patients, and finally providing an appropriate environment to test cases.
13- Activating the role of pharmaceutical sciences and preparing a student to for the specialized teamwork and social communication.
14- Training students and graduates on leadership skills and the management of pharmaceutical institutions to qualify them to become leaders in their societies.
15- Graduating pharmacists who are knowledgeable and experienced in types of pharmaceutical preparations as to their different sources, and that is fully aware of all pharmaceutical information (drug indication- drug action-side effects-reactions, etc.)
16- Activating the role of the College of Pharmacy for the service of patients and the development of the Saudi society.
17- Establishing research centers that are specialized in different pharmaceutical sciences to solve social problems in cooperation with other research centers in the University as well as other universities.