The Research Policy
The college is keen on establishing a leading research-centered institution through active participation in Engineering Scientific research that carefully considers the strategic priorities of KSA. The college administration and faculty members embrace a research policy that promotes cooperation, partnership and integration in order to deliver high quality research outcomes of international standing serving the local community and Humanity.
The research policy features:
- Encouraging Faculty members to establish and maintain an active research presence. This is measured through publication in highly ranked and internationally recognized periodicals, participation in prestigious specialized conferences, application for patents and attraction of research funds.
- Forming specialized research groups to focus the research efforts and enable strong multi-disciplinary research. To this end, our policy also encourages the establishment of research relationships with external groups (both locally and internationally) to enrich the research outcome and expand our research exposure. Qualitative and quantitative outcomes of collaborative research and funded projects will be used to measure the performance of this item.
- Building the college as a Center of Excellence in specific research areas at a local and regional level.
- Encouraging applied research through establishing active research links with the Engineering industry and business sector in the Kingdom and the region at large.
- Adopts an early research involvement strategy for the Teaching Assistants (TAs) by urging each TA to publish at least one research paper before commencing his Post Graduate scholarship. This is to be conducted in collaboration with or under supervision of one of the Faculty members.
- Promotes a research-oriented teaching style that helps the students to critically develop their research skills and mentality during their study.
- Encourages the research on developing the Engineering education and improving the academic process.
To achieve this, the college adopts the following framework:
- By the end of each year, each Faculty member submits his research plan for the upcoming year to the college administration showing the intended research topics, publication plan and funding requirements.
- A research committee (Dean and 2-4 of the senior faculty members) oversees and reviews the general research plan. In addition, the committee has the mandate of specifying the focus research areas for the college taking into consideration the activities of the different research groups and the needs and priorities of the targeted industrial partners.
- Faculty members are encouraged to adopt appropriate teaching styles that help develop the research skills of the students.
- Founding a permanent research group focusing on the development of the Engineering education and academic quality. The group also works on documenting the best practices of the college in this field and translates them into research publications for the benefit of the wider academic community.